Feeling overwhelmed? It’s one week until Christmas and If you’re entertaining over the holidays (like I am!) then you’re squeezing in last minute shopping, work, and other commitments. Wondering how to get it all done? Read along for some last minute tips to keeping it together over the holidays.
1. Resist the temptation to DO IT ALL. Decide what your priorities are and focus on them. Do you really need to make six different kinds of cookies? Pick your favorite two and stick to those, or consider buying prepared dough and keeping it simple. No one will hate you over your decision not to be a cookie queen.
2. Slow down and smell the pine. Relax, meet a friend for lunch, enjoy some down time. You don’t need to go, go, go all the time.
3. Remember the reason for the season. Depending on your faith, remember the true meaning of the holiday and embrace what it really means.
4. If you’re entertaining, have a plan. The more you write down, the less that is rattling around in your brain. Decide on your menu, make your grocery list, and shop ahead for the things you can and save shopping for the fresh stuff for last.
5. Shop at off times. I love to grocery shop early in the morning or as soon as my warehouse club opens. I have my list, get in and out, and avoid the rush and crowds.
6. Ask people for help. Again, avoid doing it all yourself. Divide up the food responsibilities among family members and keep it simple. Be realistic in what you are offering. It’s not necessary to have three different kinds of potatoes or excessive food amounts.
7. Have realistic expectations of the holidays. Live in the moment and live within your means. It is ok not to purchase everything your child wants or begs you for. Be happy with what you can give and be happy with what you receive. There are many less fortunate so remember to make a donation to your favorite charity as well.
Happy Holidays from Katherine’s Daughter!