If you recently became engaged, congratulations! Perhaps you have already picked out your dress, your bridesmaid’s dresses, and your venue. You are meeting with caterers, checking out favor ideas, and deciding what flowers you want to go with at your wedding.
Your happiness is important during the planning stages and up to, and including, your big day. Here are some tips you can implement to help you stay organized along the way.
1. Have a file or folder to keep all your planning notes and contracts in. Stay as organized as possible and utilize a multi slot accordian file, or at least, multiple folders with the headings of all possible categories of your wedding. Caterer, Bridesmaids, DJ, Venue, all will have different needs and in some cases, different contracts. Keeping track of your notes and paperwork will make your life easier.
2. Read the fine print. You have many things on your mind for your wedding and it’s important to have someone (a knowledgeable family friend or other neutral party) to look over the contracts, agreements, etc. that you will need to sign with your vendors. If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask. Don’t sign on the dotted line until you understand your obligations.
3. Keep track of your budget. A small notebook or ledger pad will help you keep track of all your expenses. Set reminders on your cell phone, or a hanging wall calendar to keep track of when you are due for payments to your vendors. Don’t live in la la land with your credit card. Keep track of what you are spending.
4. The more you do ahead of time, the less stressed you will be. It’s true. If you wait until the last minute on key items, not only will you pay more, but you will be frazzled at the end. Do as much as you can ahead of time and you’ll see how much easier your life will be. Make decisions on your favors, dresses, shoes, honeymoon ahead of time and breathe easier.
5. Get help. Ask family or friends to help you with tasks that feel overwhelming. Consider hiring a coordinator to assist you in staying on track. Managing stress at this time is crucial and necessary for a happy bride and groom on their wedding day.
6. Maintain your relationship with your loved one. Spend time together, have dates, keep an open dialogue about what is going on during the wedding planning process. Don’t focus obsessively on your wedding; keep it in proportion to your life and make sure you have down time.
6. Keep it simple. If you have many ideas for your wedding day and are feeling anxiety, perhaps you’re trying to do too much. You can’t do everything. Put all your ideas down (even on a Pinterest board) and decide what you can reasonably afford, and what is unnecessary. In the long run, simplicity is really elegant and you can’t go wrong with it.
7. Use a wedding app to keep all of your information together. Share photos, track rsvp’s, even monitor your wedding day weather!
These simple organizational tips will help you stay focused for your wedding day. Remember, this is about you and your groom and the celebration of your union. Keep that in mind and all will go well!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to share below!